One Day Later... | U-Tern

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Royal Cash - Radio Activity (1983 Electro-Funk)

This is one of my favorite electro-funk records of all time. I first heard it on a b-boy mixtape by Storm back in the late 90's. This track has everything, vocoder (check the instrumental for the intro), a killer groove, catchy hook, the over-the-top guitar, even the ridiculous dialog near the end, it's just all-around good fun.
Some of you may recognize it as it was interpolated recently by Tha Dogg Pound for "Cali Iz Active", and also by MC Fosty & Lovin' C for "Radio Activity Rapp" back in 1984. Some of you with finer ears might even recognize the intro drums from Young MC's mainstream hit "Bust a Move".
I believe the original inspiration for the tune came from Kraftwerk's "Radio-Activity" and a cover version by Digital Dance (from Belgium 1979), which I haven't heard (if you have this track I would LOVE to hear it!).
Enjoy!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one!
Yalso have Mc Fosty's version?

Grtz

Mark

4:16 AM  
Blogger DJ Trauma said...

Thanks for this one....back in the day! Love the blog!

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, thx for posting this, I've wanted this song forever!

7:50 PM  
Blogger seandonson said...

I actually know this best from Lighter Shade of Brown's "Latin Active" from '90. Pretty big down in Southern California but I dont know if that latin shit gets all the way up to Canada.

10:54 AM  
Blogger seandonson said...

Oh and thanks for the quality rips man! Sounds great!

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a bomb! super oldschool track. Ts for this one and for nice organizing blog!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Floyd Anderson / chronovisor said...

Generally spoken, a very nice blog, really worth it to visit.

cheers,

|cv|

http://chronovisor.blogspot.com

2:50 PM  
Blogger Ozir said...

Like Sean Donson mentioned above, I know it from Lighter Shade of Brown's "Latin Active."

I always knew it was a sample, as I remember having heard the original before then.

And like Evan, I too been looking for this for a while.

Thanks for the rips!

8:02 AM  
Blogger P M X said...

Thank you, kind sir! Can't ever have enough of these obscure 80s electro gems. thx...

7:35 AM  
Blogger lena said...

thanks man for vocal version. it ones of the best tracks of my life. thanks.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Dez said...

I used to play this all the time in my bedroom. and also hear this after church in the rec hall where a dj used to play. also at our local mall Westridge now know as Desert Sky

12:48 PM  
Blogger the saucer people said...

Mmm...a 2007 post....am I too crazy to ask for a reupload!?!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home